4/29/2012

Congratulations!!

Every year, for the past several years, an invitation to submit art work to the Annual Congressional Art Competition has arrived in my mailbox at Topeka West.  And every year I think "Eh, my students are too busy." or "Their work has been included in enough competitions for the year." or "Best of West is right around the corner and we need the work."  Well, this year I decided to change all of that negative-thinking and I set out with a purpose to get my students involved...especially the junior/senior advanced students.  So I mentally picked out a few pieces, asked the students to fill out the appropriate paperwork, and a couple of weeks ago I delivered 22 photographs to Congresswoman Lynn Jenkin's office here in Topeka.

Time went by and just a few days ago I received an email stating that two Topeka West students had placed in the top 4!  Seven different schools participated in this competition with a total of seventy-some pieces being judged.  So having two pieces place in the top four is quite the accomplishment!

Junior Kyler Collins and senior Bryce Maes placed 2nd and 4th respectively.  See their winning pieces below and be sure to tell them congratulations when you run into them on campus!



 Kyler Collins, junior     2nd Place



Bryce Maes, senior     4th place

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update:  Today, May 1st, Congresswoman Lynn Jenkins (along with USD 501's superintendent Dr. Julie Ford, Topeka West's principal Jeanne Carton, and other distinguished guests) stopped by the photography class room to personally congratulate Kyler and Bryce.  What a fantastic opportunity for these students and for Topeka West!


No comments: