11/21/2009

Fluidr: The Flickr Experience

I've honestly never enjoyed browsing through Flickr. I can also state that I probably visit a Flickr site maybe once a month. And since I don't have a lot of experience browsing through the photostreams I guess that explains why I think navigating through Flickr is a bit tedious.

So, the other day I find this little website that makes browsing through a Flickr photostream a lot easier....and a lot more fun! The more I think about it Fluidr (http://www.fluidr.com/) is more of an online application than it is a website:



[from www.fluidr.com] "Fluidr presents a new way of exploring Flickr photos and videos.

It was designed to allow you, the viewer, to discover and interact with Flickr photos and videos with as little distraction as possible. This is achieved by:

  • Large images
  • Far fewer page loads
  • A simple interface
  • Keyboard shortcuts
  • Sorting by interestingess
  • Shuffle images
  • Explore videos
Fluidr is a hobby project of Sidath Senanayake (haelio on Flickr) and was initially developed as a way to share photos with friends and family without them having to wait for page loads each time they moved from one large-size image to the next. They soon found that they would get a lot further into a photostream before moving onto something else when they used early versions of Fluidr.

In light of this it was decided to offer Fluidr to a wider audience as a way to give something back to the wonderful Flickr community. Fluidr will always remain free to use and ad-free. I hope you enjoy using it as much as I do! If you like Fluidr, please tell your friends about it."

Ironically, a day or two after I had visited Fluidr for the first time, one of Topeka West's advanced photography students left a comment on the most recent post at Photosynthesis stating that she had recently updated her Flickr photostream. I hadn't yet had the opportunity to view a photostream with the Fluidr software so I typed in the url that she had posted and then clicked on the Fluidr bookmarklet that is available on the Fluidr website. WOW! What a difference!!


The complete photostream loads as you scroll down through all the images...AND, if you want to see the image full-screen, all you have to do is click on it! I looked through each and every image and it took mere minutes.

To see all of Maci's photostream using Fluidr click here ----> http://www.fluidr.com/photos/limegreenkisses14. You'll love it just as much as I did and will starting viewing all Flickr photostreams using this fantastic software!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I really enjoyed browsing through the wonderful pictures from the TWHS students. They obviously have a great teacher! M. Cummins