10/01/2009

Toy Camera Look for the Digital Age: the Lensbaby!

Late last year I ordered a new lens for the advanced photography students to use...possibly adding some diversity to their portfolios. I took it home over the summer to "put it through its paces"....and it stayed in my photography bag all summer. So today, on this beautiful fall afternoon, I decided to go out an take some images with this new lens and see what I could come up with. May I introduce......the Lensbaby!!

The Lensbaby is a selective focus lens for use with either a film or digital SLR camera body. With most lenses the greatest area of focus is directly in the center of the lens. But with the Lensbaby the lens actually moves (!!) allowing the photographer to creatively control the area of focus.




Some photographers like the "look" or "visual feel" of a camera with a cheap lens...such as the Holga. But, those same photographers may not want to shoot with film when it is hard to come by and expensive to process. The Lensbaby creates a visually appealing image while still allowing the photographer to work with their favorite digital/film SLR.




Lensbaby offers three different lens systems all based on control and price. The Muse lets you shoot fast and loose and won't dent your savings account at $100-150. The Composer (what I bought) offers a lot more control without having to lock the lens into place ($270). While the Control Freak is for the photographer who wants to sacrifice nothing for ultimate control ($350)!

There are a ton of sample images on the Lensbaby website that you can check out here. But, before you go, take a look at the images that I took around campus. I only shot for about an hour and I can already tell you: "I love this lens!!"








---------------------------------------------------------

Wow! Check out this comment made about this post on the same day that it was published: "Hey Mr. Berryman I love your images as well as your enthusiasm about the Lensbaby! My name is Angela Morris and I work in the Education department of Lensbaby. I don't know if you have heard but we do have a great student and educator discount at 25% off all our products! Very sorry if you missed out on this but if any of your students or colleges want one let them know. Again it's great to have another fan!!" (How cool is that??)

1 comment:

Angela said...

Hey Mr. Berryman I love your images as well as your enthusiasm about the Lensbaby! My name is Angela Morris and I work in the Education department of Lensbaby. I don't know if you have heard but we do have a great student and educator discount at %25 off all our products! Very sorry if you missed out on this but if any of your students or colleges want one let them know. Again it's great to have another fan!!

Thanks
Angela Morris