3/08/2009

Online Photo Editing with PICNIK


There are plenty of sites online to store your images (deviantART, flickr, photobucket, Nikon's my Picturetown, etc.), but what if you don't have access to any decent photo editing software? You should immediately surf on over to picnik.com!

Picnik provides the opportunity for the everyperson to work with powerful yet easy-to-use photo editing tools. The site is free to use (for now) but if you want access to the really cool editing tools (or to store your edited photos) you will have to pay $24.95 for Picnik Premium.

You can easily upload your photos from you computer or from many of the photo-sharing sites including MySpace and Facebook. Once your photos are uploaded you can:
  • Fix your photos in just one click
  • Use advanced controls to fine tune-your results
  • Crop, resize, and rotate in real-time
  • Use tons of special effects, from artsy to fun
  • Astoundingly fast, right in your browser
  • Awesome fonts and top-quality type tool
  • Choose from basketfuls of shapes to add to your images
  • Works on Mac, Windows, and Linux
  • No download required, nothing to install!
I uploaded one photo just to play around with and I was really amazed at how easy it was to work with the editing tools and undo any effects that I didn't like. Here is the before and after of the photo I worked on:

A couple of my advanced photography students were the ones who informed me about Picnik. I asked if they wouldn't mind showing a few of their images as well (thanks Savannah & Alex!):

Elizabeth by Savannah Abbott



Steph by Savannah Abbott



Self-portrait
by Alex Rios


3 comments:

Kelsey H. said...

I love picnik.. thats all i use. i have photoshop 7.0 and abobe image read but i dont use either i use picnik. its so easy and fun.

MMapes said...

I must admit I am a picnik addict. :) I've used that site for so many edits i do just for fun and its awesome!

Rahul Patel said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.