2/23/2009

Lauren Greenfield's Girl Culture

While I am on this (completely unintentional) XX kick I received a postcard in the mail from the Sabatini Gallery (located at the Topeka & Shawnee County Public Library) announcing an upcoming photography exhibit. I was completely floored when I read on the front of the card that the gallery is planning on showcasing the work of Lauren Greenfield!

"American Photo named Greenfield one of the 25 most influential photographers working today." (http://www.apple.com/pro/profiles/greenfield/index2.html). This is an incredible opportunity! It is not very often that such a highly respected photographer shows their work here in Topeka.

The exhibit will include selections from Greenfield's book Girl Culture that was released in 2002.

"Girl Culture has been my journey as a photographer, as an observer of culture, as part of the media, as a media critic, as a woman, as a girl.

The photographs in this book and exhibition are both very personal and very public. They are about what is private and what is public and where the line that divides the two lies, when that line exists at all anymore. They are about the popular culture that we share and the way the culture leaves its imprint on individuals in their most public and private moments. They are about the girls I photographed. They are also about me.

I cannot say exactly when I began this project. I was enmeshed in girl culture before I was a photographer, and I was photographing girl culture before I realized I was working on Girl Culture. The first part of this process was making sense of what I had been drawn to for years in my photography, the themes and subject matter I visited again and again. Unlike other projects I’ve worked on, this one was less like building with blocks and more like deciphering code. The elements were all there, almost from the beginning. I simply needed to identify them, understand their importance, find the connections, and look for the big picture." (from Mirror, Mirror by Lauren Greenfield)


Contestants in the Fitness America competition pose for
a photograph, Redondo Beach, California



Morgan and Lisa, both 13, during Spring Break,
Sanibel, Florida



Sara shops in SoHo, New York, New York


Erin, 24, is blind-weighed at an eating disorder clinic in
Coconut Creek, Florida. She has asked to mount
the scale backward so as not to see her weight gain.



Danielle gets measured as Michelle waits for the final weigh-in
on their last day of weight-loss camp, Catskills, New York

Girl Culture will open with a reception at the Sabatini Gallery on Friday, March 6 from 5:30 - 8:30 p.m. A Gallery Talk with Lauren Greenfield will take place at the Marvin Auditorium (also at the Library) on Monday, March 9 from 6:30 - 8:30 p.m. This is a show that you will not want to miss!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Her work is wonderful? The 4 photos posted very interesting...beautiful bodies, by society standards, a few young girls with t-shirts of such bodies over theirs maybe not so thin, and then a poor girl who thinks she is overwieght but not and sick from it, and then some overweight young girls...the opposite is stunning. How complex we are. How I will try the best I can to teach and reinforce self esteem in my 2 daughters.

Thanks for sharing. I get very little art in my life...getting more as my todller comes home with masterpieces from school!

Victoria (Jakes' cousin)