12/12/2008

Montana or molehill?


Earlier this year famed celebrity photographer Annie Liebotvitz took photos of Miley Cyrus (a.k.a. Hannah Montana to the tween-base) for the June issue of Vanity Fair magazine. Liebovitz captured images of Miley and her dad, Billy Ray Cyrus, and then photos of Miley by herself. Even before the issue was released on newsstands one image in particular instantly became "controversial". But who actually started all the controversy?

Days after the Vanity Fair release Miley Cyrus released this statement: "I took part in a photo shoot that was supposed to be 'artistic' and now, seeing the photographs and reading the story, I feel so embarrassed. I never intended for any of this to happen and I apologize to my fans who I care so deeply about."

Liebovitz, of course, defended her portrait of Cyrus by saying: "I'm sorry that my portrait of Miley has been misinterpreted. Miley and I looked at fashion photographs together and we discussed the picture in that context before we shot it. The photograph is a simple, classic portrait, shot with very little makeup, and I think it is very beautiful."



What do you think? Feel free to answer the poll by selecting one of the white circles and then clicking the VOTE button. Leave a comment as well if you would like to explain your answer further.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to vote for all three.
1. Annie Liebovitz is a renowned photographer -- not "the media". The image she produced is classy.
2. The media are the ones who dragged the issue down to the exploitation stage by their interference.
3. If the picture were printed in a publication aimed at Hannah Montana's audience, that might make a difference.

MMapes said...

I think this photo is outstanding and artistic.
Disney is just too worried about losing family values they fail to realize this is Miley Cyrus not Hannah Montana.
Put a blonde wig on her and then maybe I'd find it wrong.